HONESTY. . . Deep down dirty honesty with GOD, with yourself and with others. Can you look inside and face the ugliness of your own human heart? GOD says “The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?” Jeremiah 17:9 NLT
I’ll tell you who. GOD Himself because HE is omniscient. (check out Psalm 139) Omniscience means all knowing. HE is the only one who can see inside our hearts and read our thoughts all the time. HE knows what lurks in the recesses of our souls better than we do. AND, HE continues to love us! That’s powerful!
LOVE. . . Unconditional Love, Unconditional acceptance. . . but NOT unconditional closeness. This is where we decide how deep our end of this relationship will grow [whether we are longtime Christ followers or newbies]. Do we want to FLURISH? GOD adores us but HE will not force us to love HIM in return. The only way we can truly flurish is to make up our minds right now that we want to love GOD with all our heart. GOD told ancient Israel “If you look for ME wholeheartedly, you will find ME.” Jeremiah 29:13 NLT . The same is absolutely true for us. We flurish only by staying close to our Creator GOD. “Come close to GOD, and GOD will come close to you.” James 4:8a NLT
So what does ‘coming close’ look like? How do we love a God we cannot see or touch and who seems faraway? Again, BELIEF is all important (Hebrews 11:6). Believing is part of of the action of faith. Adjusting your life in tangible ways, which basically includes your time and resources in HONESTY and LOVE toward GOD. So. . .
1. Set aside some time, even if it’s only 5 minutes to start.
2. Find a place that’s quiet and private for your time. (Have you seen the movie WAR ROOM?)
3. Go to your special place for the time you have and BELIEVE that GOD is with you. (HE travels in your heart via the Holy Spirit Ephesians 3:17) Take a few deep inhales, hold them and breathe out slowly, repeat several times. No, this isn’t weird stuff just a natural physical action to calm yourself to focus and reduce any stress.
4. Now start talking about whatever is in your heart. The good, the bad, the ugly and the sad. The big one for me is the anxious stuff. Chew on this; what GOD told Israel applies to us as well. . . “I have loved you with an everlasting love. With an unfailing love I have drawn you to Myself.” Jeremiah 31:3 NLT You are here RIGHT now because HE is drawing you to Himself! So totally kool I can’t even tell you!!!
5. Be real with GOD. Talk to HIM openly and honestly. When you are HIS child (at any age) HE cares about every detail of our lives! Don’t believe it? Check out Luke 12:7 in JESUS’ own words! HE knows the number of hairs on each of our heads. How many of us lose some everyday? We all do and yet HE has a running , up to the moment by moment tally ALL THE TIME! Trust HIM to care about your details. You may want to have note paper handy because at some point, if you listen and BELIEVE, you will hear from GOD. . . and you won’t wanna forget what HE says specifically to you.
Guess what? You are loving GOD and building your relationship with HIM at this point. When you seriously love someone the first thing you do is spend time with them. If you can make time to love GOD every day that is great. You can always increase your time if you are able. If you can find a couple of times each week that is wonderful too, just start. HE wants you to enjoy HIM not feel obligated. Trust me, HE is longing to spend time with you.
In conclusion for today; IF you want to FLURISH, love on GOD with your time and keep things real with HIM.
Of course any comments or questions are always welcome! Catch ya in a few days!
Shine on. . .